Segennyian magic is somewhat unknown to its human population in Vengeance of Segennya though it does see a resurgence of sorts in Kakri. At the same times these systems of magic are somewhat elaborate and interwoven except for a couple areas. The main one of these systems that fall into the latter category is Liz’s ability. So now let’s enter what is essentially the 101 course to Liz’s magic.
– Simply put Liz’s power is the ability to form a weapon virtually out of any substance at will so long as her physical body and mind holds up. A bar of iron will form something out of Iron, a stone will make stone, etc.
– Essentially Liz’s power is linked to her physical strength, if a fight goes on long enough she will eventually lose focus and the shape of the weapons as her body tires from exertion. The same happens as well if she is too wounded in battle.
– How they are formed is concentrating on the shape and use of the weapon you desire- this means completely custom designs are possible- and holding the shape in your mind as your ability causes it to take shape in the medium of choice. After formation only a portion of the will of the user is needed to maintain the shape allowing the mind to be free to make use of the tool and actively engage in battle since even a subconscious level of awareness fulfills this need.
– The material that weapons are being formed out of do not always have to be a large amount of the material such as a what a blacksmith might use to form a weapon with normal means. At the same time it is restricted somewhat in how little of a material it can work with, it can’t form a weapon of any real substance out of just a tiny bit of material like a chip off a larger piece of stone or a sliver of wood can’t form a full weapon.
– The exact amounts that are the cut off are unknown as Liz is the only living practitioner of this form of magic and typical errors on the side of practicality then experimentation to see limits. In addition in Kakri does expand what materials can be used (and that’s all I say in fear of anti-spoiler mobs 😉 ).
– As far as defensive practices, making shields, armor and the like, it is unknown if Liz can form these things since as previously mentioned she has never tried to experiment and her previous applications had little use for making such items.
-It is believed that Liz’s power comes to her from her father’s line since to date no Eiren, Uranyian or Inarnian magic works that way to tie her to those disciplines which also might make it a strictly human school.
– As far as documentation there is relatively little, most documentation of human magic schools in general have been hidden or more than likely destroyed at the time of Vengeance of Segennya. Recovery efforts in this regard have been slow since the events of Vengeance.
Okay I confess- this looks like one of the most basic, basic intro guides to a magic system in existence. I will probably update as the books progress and the fear of spoilers is not as great since the older books won’t be just months old. I feel though this gives a good overview of what Liz can do, her limitations and hints at future prospects for her abilities as she is a bit freer with her powers now. So my question to you is what aspect of Segennya do you want to see next? I plan on making this a bit more of a regular feature on the blog whether weekly or more often I’m not sure yet. I have a few ideas but I wonder where people might be more curious about the world and want to touch areas of interest first so let me know in the comments!